Saturday, June 21, 2014

Saying Goodbye...


I spoke at my brother's funeral on Thursday. I would like to share that talk with you.

June 19th, 2014

I always thought Todd and I were pretty different. I am a reader and a writer, Todd was  DOER. He was a DOER on a level I couldn't comprehend.
He amazed me.
He amazes me.
He did everything like the intent was to conquer that thing.
Go big or go home was about Todd.......
You could not tell him that something couldn't be done faster, better, or far more fiercely.

That included loving his family. Fiercely. He might have often been the quietest Wuergler, but he had the loudest heart. He was constantly looking out for others, changing plans, putting off dreams...to put others first.
I wish, I hope, I can have that patient and giving of a heart.

In 2009, Todd and I went to Mexico. We flew from Dallas to Cancun and then took a shuttle to our hotel. The ride was as long as the flight. Todd's leg was bouncing hard enough to shake the car. He had a list, he had plans, he was excited, and it was GO TIME.
When we got to the hotel and he realized my plans didn't stretch past eating guacamole, he didn't want to leave me behind. He knew I couldn't do the things on his list, so he made one day a day of OUR adventures. He did not leave me behind. And while I worried SO MUCH about him being bored, he worried so much about me being alone.

I came away from that trip realizing I had more in common with my brother than I thought.
He put me first.
Family came first.
We were so in sync with our love of family.
All we talked about then and over the past few years is about how our family should be together. We should spend more time, give more time, and love more fiercely.

Well, I want to honor that....I promise to fulfill that dream. To bring us together more, to celebrate each other more, to love with the intent to conquer.

I believe in ghosts. But, even if I'm wrong, I believe my big brother will invent ghosts to make sure he has a way to prove he can do this too big too. He is going to conquer this new adventure first.....

Go big or go home. He couldn't go big enough here....so he had to go home.

Thank you.

5 comments:

Caro Wuergler said...

OH I love it!!! YOU ARE SUCH AN AMAZING WRITER. Thank you so much for being so brave to get up there and share your feelings for Todd. I
love you! - Carolina.

Shannon Enlow said...

Ok, I'm crying again. Thank you for sharing your family with me for 25 years and counting.

DGri said...

Oh wow. This is so beautiful. So, so beautiful! Amazing. What a giant. Amazing.

Becca said...

That's a beautiful tribute. Todd sounds like a great man. I'm sorry for your loss.

KashaFrancis@gmail.com said...

To the loudest of heart.