Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I can't walk...or something...

Sometime in September...I don't remember the exact date, I got off the bus at a brand new stop. It was dark.
Sidenote: I always watch where I'm walking in China. I probably look like I'm constantly staring at my feet, but you really have to watch out for poop. I'm talking animal and child poop. Just......on the sidewalk........
I was watching my feet. I actually have no idea what I tripped over. But, I fell and I hit my left knee hard.
In fact, I landed on my knee and hands SO HARD, I just froze. Stunned. On my face.
I don't know how long I stayed like that, but eventually, I rolled over. I was greeted with a group of faces.
Just. Staring.
No one offered to help. No one laughed at the lady that fell over. They just stared at me.
A woman pushed her way through the crowd and helped me stand up. I was still a bit stunned, but I think I thanked her before I started shuffling away.
I was covered in cement dust. COVERED! It's kind of funny now that I think back on it. But, at the time I was in too much pain to really think.
Anyway......I fell. I don't know how. I was kind of embarrassed about my lack of walking skills.
And, much to my dismay, my knee is still pretty messed up. I can't put too much pressure on it. At times, I wonder if I did some kind of permanent damage to the muscle. *sigh*

Sometime on the morning of November 20th........I was walking home after helping Jessica get some things moved.
I was watching my feet. But, that must have been the problem. Because I should have been watching the barrier I was stepping over. (I don't know if barrier is the right word. I don't know what to call it. It's not really a wall, but also not quite a tiny fence....)
I heard the ripping before I felt it. Something along the top of the barrier/tiny fence/non-wall ripped through my skirt, and then my tights, and then my skin. I had to pull my leg off......OUCHIE!
Well, lots of bleeding started (this is my right leg this time.) and I started to panic a little. But, then I remembered there was a pharmacy really close.
I walked in, lifted my skirt, did a waving (panic waving and heavy breathing) Vanna White type thing....and both the ladies behind the counter jumped into action.
They cleaned me up, sort of bandaged me, and were giving me rapid fire instructions. So, I called Jessica to get a translation. I paid them for all the stuff they used (and took a moment to be shocked at how cheap it all was) and then limped home.



You guys. It hurts. But, that isn't the point.

The point: I can't walk....or something............

After doing a number on both of my legs, I hope I can keep the rest of limbs safe during these last few weeks.

Wish me luck! (Sheesh.)

No comments: