Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Beware!

I've been living in China for almost a year and a half now. Isn't that crazy face? I feel like that is crazy face.

One of the many things I've learned here: Sharing food isn't really optional. Everything is family style.

This took me a while to get used to........except in the restaurants. I mean, when you are eating out and it is served family style, it makes sense. Sharing makes sense.
But, when you order your own dish, people still eat off your plate. Or, if you bring your dinner to the office and someone comes into the office......they will start eating your dinner. Because they want to see what you cooked and what it tastes like.
That is the part that took a while. It took me a while to catch on and now the sharing is old hat. I don't even really notice anymore.

But, something happened today that made me think about it again.

This morning, I bought a pineapple at the outdoor market. It was a small pineapple. But, I cut it up and put it in a thing to take with me to school. I wanted something different for dinner. I wanted something refreshing and different.

So, I'm in my office eating my pineapple when someone comes in to talk to me. He wanted to tell me something about a game we were playing last week. And while he is talking to me, he just starts eating my pineapple. He ate about half of my pineapple!
But, I've been here for over a year. So, instead of thinking, "HEY! RUDE! BACK UP OFF MY PINEAPPLE....."
I thought, "this was a tiny pineapple. I guess I should go get more food."

Then I realized it didn't bother me. It almost didn't bother me at all. And that made me wonder........am I going to be a food stealer when I get back to America? Is this part of the culture inside me now? Will I eat off people's plates like it ain't no thang?

I don't know.

But, just in case........................you have been warned.

BEWARE!

1 comment:

Singleton said...

bahahahha. amazing.