Sunday, August 26, 2012

That Bad, Huh?

K. So, my students hate writing. They get really nervous about spelling and grammar. I understand that it is hard for them, but I keep telling them that they need practice. It will always be hard and scary if you never try.....I say stuff like that......
So, I try to make the writing assignments a bit more exciting for them. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it backfires on me.
On Tuesday night and Saturday afternoon, I teach a class of 12 year old kids. There are 7 students in that class and they are my FAVORITE kids! So, I'm not going to lie, I try to make that class more fun than my other classes.
I told them we were going to do a writing assignment. But, to make it different, I told them they were going to have 10 minutes to draw a picture. Then, I would take the pictures and give them to another student. They all then had 25 minutes to write a story about the picture they received.
I didn't think it sounded too bad. It was different for them. So, I thought it wouldn't be too bad. Well, they all groaned. One student leaned his head back and closed his eyes. He sighed heavily and said, "oh my god, god, god in the sky."
I chuckled and said, "that bad, huh?" They all responded with a very loud yes.
I split them up across the room and started the timer for drawing. Then I took the drawings and had them pick one at random and return to their seats.
You guys....they were all sitting around at different parts of the room. This is important.....
I got all the stories back and discovered that they must have hated this assignment far more than I thought they did.
I told you I have 7 kids, yes? They all had TOTALLY different drawings, yes?
Okay. 5 of the 7 stories ended EXACTLY the same way. It did NOT matter what happened in the rest of the story............the last sentence was:
And then they eat sh*t and die.
So, I stood in front of the class to give feedback.....and my eyes were watering cause I thought it was so funny. I was having a hard time talking. So, all I could think to say was:
Ummm...the correct grammar is- And then they ate sh*t and died.

No comments: